Today marks the 20th anniversary for the greatest girl power show of all time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have been a fan of this show since the beginning. I remember being in my senior of high school and talking about it with friends, actually I still talk about it with the same friends. It was different and unexpected for TV at that time and for me it still stands the test of time. The acting, writing and the stories were all so fabulously done that it will go down as one of the best things to ever be ion TV.
Since today is the anniversary I have been seeing a lot of “Ode to Buffy” stories online and thought I would try my hand at it. I have been meaning to do a Top Ten list of my favorite Buffy episodes and what better day than today.
1) Once More With Feeling – This will forever be my favorite episode of Buffy. It seems campy and cheesy when you think about it but this one show shed so much light on so many of the hidden problems the characters were having. All of their secrets were reveled and no one knew what woudl happen. Not to mention there was a smoking hot kiss at the end that I will never get over.
2) The Gift – I cry EVERY TIME I watch this episode. It is so emotional and done so well. Buffy clicks a lot of pieces to information together and release what she has to do and what her real gift to the world is. The scene from the above picture is one of my favorite Buffy dialogues because it is so true.
3) Becoming Part 2 – This 2nd season finally destroyed me. Watching Buffy and Angel (who I shipped at the time) battle like they did and for Buffy to have to do what she did at the end, I was crushed. I still cry watching it. I did love when Angle told her she was all alone with nothing left and she realized she was all she needed. So true to Buffy.
4) Hush – The most original episode of TV that ever aired. The show was over half silence which put a massive taking on the backs of the actors. They had to portray everything with facial expressions and gestures. It was perfectly executed and the bad guys in this one were mad creepy.
5) The Body – In a show that was filled with supernatural beings and unexplainable deaths this episode was all about real life. It was heartbreaking to see the slayer, so strong and capable, have to deal with something she couldn’t control and lose someone she had no power to save. When SMG yells “We’re not supposed to more the body” I’m done. Also the character of Anya is so perfect in her outburst about death and not understanding.
6) Touched – This is a quieter episode near the end of the final season. Not a lot of people will have this on their Top 10 list, but the scenes with Buffy and Spike in the house are really important to the two characters and their relationship and growth. I love how they look at each other and will never be over it.
7) Grave – This is another episode I feel like won’t be on a lot of lists. But Grave is super important to the Buffy-verse. The concept is simple…grief. The show is really built on grieving for the death of someone you loved, of grieving for the person you were but lost, of letting go of the grief you have been holding on to. Willow’s breakdown with Xander…another tear fest for me.
8) Amends – A much forgotten episode from season 3, it sets up the whole final season without anyone even knowing about it.
9) Graduation Day Part 2 – Probably my most quoted episode of Buffy. The ‘fire bad, tree pretty’ line sums up the day after BEA perfectly.
10 ) Chosen – The series finale was epic and I will leave it at that.
Honorable Mention) Pangs – This is for you Megan and your Thanksgiving text tradition!
Are you a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan? Are any of these episodes in your top 10? Share in the comments!