I’m not going to lie, when I started to really get back into reading a few years ago I was a major book snob. There were a lot of things that I wouldn’t read So for this TTT I’m going to give you the 7 things I used to not read because of certain criteria and the 3 that I currently shy away from but will never say never. Because as you will see from my list, I would have missed out on some awesomeness if I didn’t bend and change and give things a chance.
Used to Stay Away From
1) Books with any sort of fantasy element. I refused to read them until this year where I was convinced to read Graceling.
2) Titles that sounded too mushy like Anna and the French Kiss. Yup, almost didn’t read it. Got over that one very very quickly.
3) Books with mystical creatures like in The Iron King series. Another book I picked up just this year because I forced myself to read things I wouldn’t have read in the past.
4) Dystopian books in general. Wanted no part of them. Thought they were weird and awkward. But I picked up Delirium and dipped my toes in the water with that one and was hooked instantly.
5) Angels. Didn’t think it would interest me at all and then I read A Beautiful Dark, almost by accident. Totally hooked on the series and angels aren’t so bad.
6) Anything paranormal. I totally turned my nose up at all things paranormal and then someone told me to read Shiver, Linger and Forever. Not as bad as I thought.
7) Cancer books. Cancer books are a hard sell sometimes. But after reading The Probability of Miracles, Send Me a Sign and Second Chance Summer, I’ve rethought my stance on books dealing with cancer.
Have No Interest as of Right Now
1) Vampire books. Sure I’ve read a few of the True Blood books, but I’m just really not that into the whole deal with vampires. I think everyone and their mother trying to get me to read Twilight did that to me.
2) Dragons. I read Fire by Kristin Cashore which had a dragon like monster and it wasn’t my favorite so I still shy away from these kinds of books.
3) Magic/Wizardry. I’m talking to you Harry Potter. It never has appealed to me on any level.
So there you have it. A little different from the topic, but my take on it. Like I said though, never say never.
*Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
**Top Ten Tuesday photo made by me. If you would like to use it please give credit.
***Click on the book covers to purchase.