And finally we have me. I’m the last post on the fabulous Parallel Time Loop tour. I just want to take the time to say a brief thank you to the lovelies that played along with me, that humored me, and that went out of their way to write posts for my blog while still handling their own. You have all been the best and I thank you for that. If you missed a stop a full listing is after my post.
For my book I went with the book that started my love for all things parallel life and time travel. I went for Parallel.
When I came up with this idea for Parallel Time Loop I knew exactly what I wanted to have my post be and which book I wanted to use. You can ask the other 9 bloggers. I told them immediately what my plan and book was so they couldn’t grab the book up. There was never any question in my mind that I wanted to do Parallel and I wanted to interview Lauren Miller about it. Lauren has been nothing but awesome to me since I reached out to her about her debut novel. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever interacted with and it was a pleasure to get to interview her about a book that I just love. (Side note, read her second book Free to Fall. IT IS AMAZING!)
1) Describe Parallel in 5 words.
Girl lives her parallel’s life.
3) The plot is pretty intricate going back and forth between “Here” and “There”. Did you find it difficult keeping the two worlds straight? Did you have a trick for this?
Actually, it wasn’t that hard for me, mostly because in my head, Abby and Parallel Abby are two very different girls. Their voices felt different to me as I was writing them, and their timelines felt very distinct. The tricky part was figuring out the cause and effect between the two worlds, to come up with connections that would be interesting, not too complicated and completely unexpected.
4) Since the book deals with parallel lives I’m guessing you weren’t able to have any hands on research. How did you handle the research aspect? I mean I know there is a lot of science to Parallel. Is that where you started?
Oops, I guess I already answered this one in #2! Yes, I started with science for sure, and actually tried very hard to make the rules of my world(s) coincide with real scientific ideas and principles.
5) With Parallel being your debut book I must ask, what would you be doing in her parallel life if you weren’t an author?
You know what? I have no idea. I can see myself teaching art history at a tiny liberal arts college just as easily as I can see myself working as a television executive for a studio or network here in LA. I think in every world I’m doing something creative. But, the truth is, I’m happiest doing exactly what I’m doing now, writing books!
6) You currently have Parallel and the AMAZING Free to Fall on the shelf. I know you are currently working on a third book. Can you tell us anything about that? I may be a little excited for it no matter what it is. 🙂
Yay! I like excitement for unwritten books. This new story is a little less sci fi than my previous two, and a lot more character driven. I don’t want to say too much, but I’ll tell you that it’s about beauty and vision and the nature of reality.
7) I ask all interviews this questions since my blog deals with clothes and accessories too. What is the one accessory, book, or clothing item you personally could not live without?
My distressed Citizens, which I am wearing right now (boyfriend cut, rolled up) and white v-neck t-shirts from Jcrew. I like to get fancy on occasion, but most days, this is my uniform!
8) Finally, what does a girl have to do to get you to Boston so I can tell you in person just how awesome you are??!!
I think that can be arranged. . .
Thank you so much Lauren for taking the time to answer my questions when I know you are busy writing a 3rd book for
And on a side note, I’m not one for book trailers, but the one for Parallel is AWESOME!
Parallel Time Loop:
Rachel – A Wrinkle in Time
Brittany – Dissonance
Lauren – The Ruby Red series
Rachel – The Time Traveler’s Wife
Alexa – All Our Yesterdays
Emma – Pivot Point
Lauren – Just Like Fate
Katie – Hourglass series
Danielle – Ask Again Later
*images from Google and Polyvore, videos from Youtube